Useful Information & Terms
Keeping your home and family safe
At Carolina Lock & Key, we believe in family. Together, Don and Jan have been providing locksmith services to help keep local residents safe and secure. Keeping your family safe goes beyond the lock on your front door. Here are a few tips to make sure your home is secure.
- Install deadbolts on all exterior doors (double cylinders on doors with glass in the door or adjacent to the door).
- Install latch guards and security strikes with screws long enough to secure to the studs.
- Use outdoor lighting and trim shrubs away from windows or doors.
- Make a safe room in your home, for valuables and family members.
- Use “bump-key” resistant locks and keys.
- Install window locks and screws
Terms to know
Deadbolts – a keyed lockset that when in the locked position, the bolt cannot be “jimmied” open.
Single cyl. deadbolt – has a keyed cylinder on the outside and a thumb-turn on the inside.
Double cyl. deadbolt – has keyed cylinder on both inside and outside.
Entrance lockset – the standard “door knob” – keyed cylinder knob on the outside – inside knob containing a button to turn or push-in to lock the lockset.
Lock rekeying – cylinder rekey or lock change) the removing of exiting lock tumblers in such a fashion that prevents the original key from operating the lock.
Bonded • Licensed • Insured NC State License #0023